MIAMI, FL - JANUARY 29: Derrick Rose of the Chicago Bulls is guarded by LeBron James of the Miami Heat during a game at American Airlines Arena in Miami, Florida.(Photo by Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images)
In one of the more exciting games of the season, the Miami Heat outlasted the Chicago Bulls 97-93 at the AAA on Sunday. The game was tight throughout and came down to the very end, where free throws (or, missed free throws) decided the winner. First it was Derrick Rose, who came to the foul line with 22.7 seconds left and the Bulls down by one.
He missed both attempts, leaving his team behind and in a position where they had to foul in order to remain in the game. The Heat player who got the ball in his hands was LeBron James, but he would also miss both, leaving the game still hanging in the balance. Rose had a chance to tie the game with 3.7 seconds left, but missed a shot from around the free throw line. That would be the Bulls final chance.
LeBron had the play of the game in the opening minutes, jumping completely over the Bulls 5'11" guard John Lucas, reaching up with one hand and slamming down an ally-oop pass from Dwyane Wade. That was one of a few plays in the 1st quarter that had the sellout crowd at the AAA buzzing. Following the game, several players used the word ‘playoffs' when describing the game, saying that it had a similar atmosphere as the games played in May and June.
- Miami out-rebounded the Bulls 48-47. Chicago is the top rebounding team in the league.
- Chris Bosh picked up his 5th double double of the season, finishing with 24 points and 12 rebounds.
- LeBron's double double was his 8th of the year, but his 5th with points and rebounds, coming away with 35 and 11.
- Following the game there were reports that Rose was so upset about failing to convert his final second opportunities, he was brought to tears.
- Miami led the game from start to finish.
- Just like in last year's playoffs, when the game was on the line in the final seconds, it was LeBron James guarding Derrick Rose.
- James had his right shoulder wrapped with ice during a 1st half stint on the bench, but showed no ill effects during the game and it wasn't brought up afterwards.
The Heat get little time to rest, with a home game coming up on Monday against the New Orleans Hornets.