Hot on the heels of the Miami Heat signing veteran journeyman Roger Mason Jr. comes a report from Sportando.net that the 20th and final training camp roster spot will be going to South Dakota guard Charlie Westbrook.
Charlie westbrook is going to camp with the Heat, I am told— Emiliano Carchia (@SportandoBasket) September 28, 2013
Hoopsrumors.com has a bit of insight into Westbrook:
The guard was in summer league with the Trail Blazers earlier this summer but did not advance further with the team.
The 6'4'' guard out of the University of South Dakota spent last season in Verona, Italy and appeared to be on his way back there this season. The 24-year-old turned down a pair of training camp invites in August to go back to Europe, but he may try and make things happen in the states this season. Westbrook isn't likely to hook on in Miami for this season, but he could make an impression and continue to build on his game in the D-League if he stays in the U.S.
Sounds like Westbrook could potentially be a future project for the Heat D-League affiliate Sioux Falls Skyforce, if he doesn't return to Europe. With their new control over the Skyforce basketball operations and infusion of Heat talent into their infrastructure, we could see more of these types of signings rather than just letting go of a player like Patrick Beverly develop elsewhere.
No official word from the Heat just yet on this signing but we'll update once we hear anything...
More from Hot Hot Hoops:
- Wade, Bosh, and Birdman get fitted for their Championship Rings
- Wade's charitable efforts before start of training camp
- Dwyane Wade talks recovery before training camp starts
- Chris Bosh appears in animated series
- Ray Allen donates computer lab to Hartford elementary school
- Roger Mason Jr announces signing with the Miami HEAT
- HEAT announce Red & White open scrimmage for fans at AA Arena
- Roster evaluation heading into Training Camp