1. I'll start off easy: Where can I get the best slice of pizza in New York? (This is a trick question, because the only acceptable answer is John's Pizzeria on Bleecker street).
I don't know! I went to John's once years ago and it was very good. I live in Brooklyn, and my favorite places near me are Graziella's and Il Porto. I don't think any of the places we've mentioned are really slice spots, if we're being literal.
2. Where did you pick the Knicks to finish at the start of the season? I had them 5th in the East, 2nd in the Atlantic. Looking back on your prediction, does this season really make sense to you? Or has the way this whole thing has gone totally caught you off guard?
I don't think I ever made a prediction, but I certainly had them making the playoffs. If anyone asked me, I probably picked them to win or come in second in the Atlantic Division.
The way this season has gone down makes sense in that James Dolan remains the owner of the Knicks and it's hard to stop the downward trickle of mediocrity for long. Like, I think I can understand now how questionable roster moves and the persistent enabling of Mike Woodson's awful turn have sunk them. I didn't see it coming, though, no.
3. Is this a rivalry game? It feels like the Knicks always play well against the Heat, which is sort of indicative of a rivalry game, but at the same time, I don't hate the Knicks. Where do you stand?
I don't really hate the Heat anymore. It does seem like the Knicks get up to play them, though, and they might still match up well with them somehow.
4. Melo's numbers for February are insane (32.5 PPG, 7.5 RPG, 47% FG, 43% 3PT). What's been the biggest difference in his game this month?
I suppose more spread-out lineups and better shot selection (interconnected phenomena) have something to do with it, but he's also just hitting everything. Catch and shooting, driving, even just jab-stepping and firing out of isolation-- it's all working. And he still cares a lot. He could easily have checked out this late in a terrible season, but he's playing a ton of minutes and putting the Knicks on his back for all of them.
5. What's your prediction for the game?
I predict the Knicks go down big, go up big (in either order), then lose a close game.