Hot Hot Hoops was graciously invited by Jordan Brand earlier this week to preview the all-new Jordan Fly Wade, Dwyane Wade’s first signature shoe with Jordan Brand.
The classy presentation featured secret agent briefcases, the kind you see Wade running around with in his latest commercials, opened up to reveal the new shoe in a variety of different colorways. In an adjacent room, Wade sat with shoe designer Mark Smith to discuss the Jordan Fly Wade with a small group of writers, bloggers and sneakerheads. Sheets of sketches and blueprints of the shoe lay in between the two sides illustrating many of the new features of the shoe (listed below).
After the interview, Jordan reps invited us into another room where three iMacs displaying the NikeID.com site where we were encouraged to test out a myriad of customization options on the Jordan Fly Wade. Somehow mine ended up looking like a mid-90s Toronto Raptors inspired shoe but that's neither here nor there.
The JORDAN FLY WADE is the lightest Jordan basketball shoe to ever take flight. At 13 ounces, the JORDAN FLY WADE also features a full-length Phylon midsole and asymmetrical collar for optimal performance on the court. Some of the design features include the classic Jordan elephant crackle print on the outsole and clear rubber sole.
Dwyane Wade joins fellow Jordan athletes Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Derek Jeter with his own signature line. Dwyane Wade was hand-picked by Michael Jordan to become a member of Team Jordan.
"I’m thrilled to unveil my first signature shoe with Jordan Brand," said Dwyane Wade. "This lightweight performance shoe complements my style of play on the court and will help elevate my game during the playoffs."
The first two colorways of the JORDAN FLY WADE will be available in the U.S. on Thursday, May 5, 2011 and in China on Saturday, May 7, 2011 for a suggested retail price of $140. In addition, the JORDAN FLY WADE will be available for NikeiD customization on Sunday, May 29, 2011. The final two colorways will be available in June.
Check out the photo gallery below as well as the HD video I posted earlier that features the Wade-Smith interview as well as the Jordan presentation.
- Combination of lightweight synthetic leather and engineered textile on the upper provide lightweight support and stability for peak performance on the court
- Perforations on the quarter panel enhance ventilation and breathability
- Laminate TPU and no-sew construction provides lightweight support and durability
- Internal 3/4 bootie construction for comfort
- Asymmetrical Collar cut lower on the lateral side and higher on the medial side to allow for optimal support and range of motion in the ankle
- Strategically placed notches along the eyestays allow flexibility and lock down the foot for a better fit
- External TPU midfoot shank plate provides torsional rigidity for quick cuts on the court
- Full length Phylon midsole provides lightweight cushioning and a comfortable ride
- Nike Zoom unit in the forefoot for lightweight and responsive cushioning
- Max Air unit in the heel for maximum impact protection
- Elephant crackle pattern on the outsole provides excellent multidirectional traction on the court
- Vertical flex grooves on the forefoot allows the foot to flex from side to side when making quick cuts
- Rotational traction pattern on the medial forefoot for easy pivoting and multidirectional movement
- Solid rubber outsole provides traction for a variety of surfaces
- Classic Jordan elephant crackle pattern on the outsole
- New Jordan DWade logo on the tongue
- Solid rubber outsole for a unique look