clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

As Miami visits Oklahoma City, the Thunder’s Steven Adams may derail the Heat express train

New, comments

The Thunder have another player who could lay waste to Miami’s best-laid plans.

NBA: Miami Heat at Oklahoma City Thunder Mark D. Smith-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Heat visit the Oklahoma City Thunder with Russell Westbrook, Paul George, Carmelo Anthony...and Steven Adams?

Minus Hassan Whiteside, the 7’0”, 255 lb Adams could present quite a challenge at the rim for Bam Adebayo and Kelly Olynyk, as the Heat try to fend off his famous All-Star teammates on the formidable Oklahoma City team.

For men on the Thunder who played at least 50 games, Adams leads OKC in blocks at 1.1 per game, FG% at 63.4%, points per shot at 1.49, and is second in each of the following stats: rebounds at 8.9, double-doubles with 24, +/- at 4.5, PER at 21.1.

Adams’ top-10 video clip includes his payback to Draymond Green.

Adams sets a mean screen on Patrick Beverley, so maybe Tyler Johnson should wear a helmet for the game.

As the Heat take on the Thunder Friday night, they could take note of the 25-point contribution Adams made in his team’s win over the Toronto Raptors.

ESPN gives OKC a 73% chance to win the game, so the question is how the Heat could make their 27% into a win.

Adams may not have the name awareness of his teammates, but he’s an important cog in their machine as Jimmy Butler pointed out in his NFSV description.