clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Two ways Miami Heat could win on NBA Draft night

New, comments

NBA draft might hold a lot of surprises when the clock starts ticking next week in New York.

NBA: Miami Heat at Phoenix Suns Jennifer Stewart-USA TODAY Sports

The Miami Heat might have some surprises in store next Thursday evening when the action starts in the 2019 NBA Draft.

In an aggregate mock draft prospect Bol Bol at #19 goes later than the Heat’s #13 choice.

#14 – Basketball Insiders (Jesse Blancarte)

#15 – NBADraft (#25 today)

#17 – Bleacherreports (#21 today)

#17 – The Ringer

#17 – Fansided (Brendon Kleen)

#20 – ESPN

#20 – Rookie Wire (Michael Visenberg)

#22 – The Crossover (Jeremy Woo)

#22 – Basketball Insiders (Steve Kyler)

#22 – CBSsports (Boone)

#26 – The Athletic

Some forecasters expect him to be drafted at or before #13.

#9 – Basketball Insiders (Drew Maresca)

#12 – Basketball Insiders (Spencer Davies)

#12 – Yardbarker (Pat Heery)

#13 – NetScouts

A tweet by Jonathan Givony may present a case for Miami to rethink its choice when their turn comes in the NBA Draft.

”Bol Bol conducted a Pro Day in LA yesterday in front of approximately a dozen NBA teams, including five GMs, to ease concerns around his health and remind them of his ultra high skill-level. Bol showed why he’s considered a top-five talent in this draft in terms of pure upside.”

If Bol is off the board before Miami gets its chance, that means unexpectedly somebody else will be available at #13 for the Heat.

Bol is not one of the 17 prospects invited to the NBA Draft Green Room as of today per Givony.

“Goga Bitadze has been invited to the NBA Draft Green Room, a source tells ESPN. Here are the 17 players currently in Zion, Ja, Barrett, Garland, Culver, Hunter, Coby White, Reddish, Jaxson Hayes, Nas Little, Langford, Herro, Doumbouya, Brandon Clarke, Hachimura, PJ Washington.”

The 17 prospect’s full names in the order listed above are:

  1. Zion Williamson
  2. Ja Morant
  3. RJ Barrett
  4. Darius Garland
  5. Jarrett Culver
  6. De’Andre Hunter
  7. Coby White
  8. Cam Reddish
  9. Jaxson Hayes
  10. Nassir Little
  11. Romeo Langford
  12. Tyler Herro
  13. Sekou Doumbouya
  14. Brandon Clarke
  15. Rui Hachimura
  16. PJ Washington
  17. Goga Bitadze

The other possibility for a Heat win in the NBA Draft comes from a pipe-dream trade offered by the Complex where Miami dumps salary, while receiving a top-4 pick on draft night.

“The Heat are a sneaky team that could pop up in the Anthony Davis trade talks. In this scenario, they shed some money sending out James Johnson and his contract, but also get the 4th pick in return from the Lakers. For the Pelicans, they would get the haul from the Lakers, but also Josh Richardson from Miami, who is one of the most underrated players in the league.”

In their scheme

  • The Heat get Rajon Rondo, Josh Smith, #4 pick
  • The Lakers get Anthony Davis
  • The Pelicans get Josh Richardson, Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, James Johnson

What I find interesting about the above idea is the how many Pelicans players will lose their jobs after the addition of Zion Williamson and the subtraction of Davis.

What are the roles of the following players on the Pelicans once any transactions are completed?

  • Julius Randle
  • Cheick Diallo
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Elfrid Payton
  • Solomon Hill
  • Stanley Johnson
  • E’Twaun Moore

Besides the top players and draftees themselves, other players on teams may be forced out or want to look for greener pastures or sandy beaches this summer.

Speculation on player movements will only increase after the NBA Finals finishes and opt-in or opt-out choices are made before July 1st.

There’s a 99% chance of most possibilities disappearing into cyberspace as wishful thinking, but that 1% chance of success could make a difference.